gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF gpsmon client mode

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF gpsmon client mode
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 12:56:00 -0800

Yo Eric!

> How many spaces do I need to give the PPS offset, worst-case?  I can
> do a pass through the monitor implementations looking to see if I
> can squeeze that in, though possibly not until after 3.12.

Best case, and normal steady state case:
        sign character ' ' or '-'
        one digit of seconds
        decmal point '.'
        9 digits of nanoSec

So 12 chars, like this:
        "-0.123456789"

You prolly want a hard coded leading space for readability, like this:
        " -0.123456789"

But that leading space is not in the timespec_str() buffer.

Absolute worst case is 10 digits of seconds.  So 21 digits like
this: "-2147483647.123456789"

With one twist in gpsmon.  Any PPS offset over a day is likely junk and
is replaced with "> 1day".  So the larget string gpsmon will see is:
        "-86399.123456789"

As sort of documented at the bottom of gpsutils.c.  I'll add this there
to help.

> > > I think that garbage is remnants of what was onscreen before the
> > > panel was painted.  You can test this by doing a 'clear' before
> > > calling gpsmon; if I'm right, there will be no garbage.
> >
> > Sort of.  I see the garbage is some JSON displayed after gpsmon
> > starts and before the curses painted.  Annoying, but not fatal.
>
> I just pushed a small patch that I think fixes this.  It does a clear
> screen before each driver switch.

No joy here.  Same issue.

RGDS
GARY