gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] the plot thickens on OS X

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] the plot thickens on OS X
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 07:02:24 -0500

Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:

> I am livetesting with a GR601-W (ublox 6), bisecting.   I find that the
> first open of the device after it has been plugged in behaves
> differently from subsequent opens.  Subsequent opens almost always get
> the "no probe matched" that I sent before.   First opens sometimes work,
> and sometimes loop with lots of reads of a few bytes.

Perhaps stty before and after the first open would reveal something?
It sounds as though the tty is retaining some kind of unhelpful state.

> This doesn't seem super different before/after that "restore blocking"
> commit you pointed me to.

Good, that's useful to know.

> Something really looks amiss with the ublox lockin code, from reading
> the logs.   There are lots of "unknown char" with eg 647 chars in the
> buffer, looking like beaddeef which is suspicious.  But I also see what
> looks like nmea at times, but still it doesn't lock.

Yet we know the ublox code is working on other plaforms.  You might
want to try running a uBlox test at -D 10 both an a Mac and one of
your other test machines to see where they diverge.