gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] The mess around SHM export keys is solved

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] The mess around SHM export keys is solved
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 06:05:03 -0500

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> scons check is working for me now when gpsd is running.  Thanks.

Excellent.

> On NetBSD, I'm now getting:
>
> Processing test/daemon/GPSmap-76S.log
> gpsd:ERROR: unable to connect to the DBUS system bus
> Processing test/daemon/ac12.log
> gpsd:ERROR: unable to connect to the DBUS system bus
>
> Did you make a deliberate change in that area?

Yes.  I repaired the DBUS build (there was a tracker bug about this).
That message means that your build found and linked the dbus-1
libraries but that gpsd could not raise DBUS on startup.

> > It was a couple of minor coding errors on my part, which I would have
> > spotted sooner if Hal had been running the code he thought he was.  As it
> > was, some bug reports sent me haring off in a wrong direction.
>
> > The regression-test driver already sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include .
>
> Doesn't that mean it should use the right libraries when I forgot to set
> chrpath=yes?

In theory, yes.

> What was the case where I misled you by running the wrong code?

I saw a debug message that was indicative of a version of the packet
getter from before I got EOF injection quite right.  (It was from the
logic tracking average packet traffic per second, part of the
discarded adaptive-delay code.)

> But maybe it really was running the wrong libraries...

Apparently.

> But things hang on the first test and the timer doesn't go off.  ???

> Does LD_LIBRARY_PATH get appended to RPATH rather than prepended?

    if env["shared"] and env["chrpath"]:
        if WhereIs('chrpath'):
            # Tell generated binaries to look in the current directory
            # for shared libraries so we can run ad-hoc tests without
            # hassle (the regression tests *don't* need this as
            # they're run in a controlled environment where we can set
            # LD_LIBRARY_PATH). Should be handled sanely by scons on
            # all systems.  Not good to use '.' or a relative path
            # here; it's a security risk.  At install time we use
            # chrpath to edit this out of RPATH.
            env.Prepend(RPATH=[os.path.realpath(os.curdir)])
        else:
            print "chrpath is not available; please build with chrpath=no."

> It fails on tom if you need a test case.

I'll test here and on tom.