gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Preparing for release

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Preparing for release
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 05:05:28 -0500 (EST)

Other than the appearance that Hal Murray's test environment is
infested by really hostile gremlins, the only pending issue I know of
is the mysterious failures on Mac OS X.

The SHM allocation change I tried to make is backed out and will stay
that way. The only other C code changes since freeze have been bug fixes,
mostly from code auditing by Zbigniew Chyla but with a couple of small
repairs to fix interpretation of the GPSD_SHM_KEY evironment variable
and disable NTP time export from within the test harness.

Does anyone running on a Mac have any theory or insight about what's
going on?  Greg Troxel's reports seem to indicate that the first open
of Mac tty devices is doing something to them that is making later
attempts to use them fail, but also that it is not the recent change to
blocking I/O. I've been hoping we could see before-and after stty
reports, but nobody has generated any.

It seems possible there is a bug in the Mac serial layer or specific
to the USB handling.  We've run into such issues before and had to
declare the Mac unsupported for a while until they got fixed.

Under these circumstances I don't plan to hold the release until
the problem goes away.

I'm tentatively planning to ship on Sunday the 22nd.

The common argument that crime is caused by poverty is a kind of
slander on the poor.
        -- H. L. Mencken