gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Preparing for release

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Preparing for release
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 13:55:10 -0500

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> While this is theoretically possible, I have two uBlox-6 based devices
> I test with regularly (one GR-601W and one uBlox EVK-6H eval kit) and
> they're as solid and reliable as granite with my Linux systems - a real
> pleasure to work with.  I think the EVK-6H is my favorite piece of test
> equipment ever.

Sure, but when two things don't work together, there could be a bug in
either, even if one of the things works in many other situations.

>> I now think that the sometimes-works-initially behavior is not about
>> serial port reset issues but about catching the device at the right time
>> in power up sequence.
>
> By "the device", do you mean the GPS or the host-side serial hardware?

I am using a GR601-W which has a USB connector.  So plugging in the
connector causes power to be applied to the GPSr and USB attach,
together.

> Because if you mean the GPS, then the salient question is why Linux
> never hits this timing window.

Yes, that's the question, but until we know I think it's wrong to make a
specific claim.