gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 14:17:30 -0800

Yo Eric!

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 03:46:00 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > Sadly read order can not be fixed on many architectures, like x86.
>
> Explain?
>
> The SHM export code I wrote using this technique seems to work.

'seems to work' does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings.  Several had
similar thoughts on the gpsmon PPS, and we know how that turned out.

I have not looked at your code, yet.  I gather there is no real world
test application to confirm long term functionality?  And we agree
that it is extremely fragile since trivial compile time options break
client/server compatibility.

If we are going to break compatibility we need to design a new
protocol that is resilient, at a minimum it should allow a mixture
of 32bit and 64bit clients and servers to interoperate across
compilers and minor revisions.  The current schemes fails these needs.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588