gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] OS X dropped. How I think about our platform priorities

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] OS X dropped. How I think about our platform priorities
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:57:08 -0800

Yo Paul!

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:35:10 +0300
Paul Fertser <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 01:46:02PM -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > In looking at the AOSP source, Google goes to great lengths to avoid
> > floating point math and goes to some lengths to special case their
> > longer integer math.  This is to cover for the lack of FPUs in most
> > ARM variants.
>
> That might have been the case few years ago but do you know of any SoC
> lacking FPU that's present in modern devices?

ARM926..Alibaba shows a nummber of tablets running on that one.

FPU is optional on all ARM prior to v7.  Popular cores like e Cortex-A8,
Cortex-A9 and Cortex-A5 do not always have any FPU (VFP).  And given how
many mutations of the VFP there are in the ARM world many people throw
up their hands and just install the armsf (ARM soft float) distros.

And we do not want to only support devices less than a few years old?
There are a ton of legacy wrt54g's still out there.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588