gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:28:07 -0800

Yo Miroslav!

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:02:23 +0100
Miroslav Lichvar <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 01:23:07PM -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > I just noticed that LinuxPTP uses SHM's as well as chronyd.
> >
> > Has anyone contacted their maintainers to join our conversation?
>
> I'm following the discussion, but I don't have much to say. I'd prefer
> sockets over shared memory and keep it as simple as possible to
> minimize the amount of code in the clients that want to support it.

Yeah, sockets are nice.  But two concerns.

The chronyd socket is binary which brings up issues of structure
packing, versions, etcc.

Would using JSON over sockets violate your 'simple as possible'
requirement?

Second, some folks, like Hal Murray, would like to see some sort
of 'one-to-many'.  That makes it easy to add a monitor process to
sniff the data for debug.  Maybe multiple sockets is sufficient.

> > Any other users of the ntp SHM's?
>
> There's at least omnisync [1] and shmpps, possibly many others.
>
> [1] http://www.vanheusden.com/time/omnisync/

Thanks, I'll check it out.

RGDS
GARY