gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 12:40:21 -0800

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:23:09 -0800
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> > So aside from your patch, I need to have configure look for
> > stdatomic.h, and iff we find it we #include stdatomic.h in
> > refclock_shm.c, right? Once that's done the rest should be OK?
>
> There is a layer of magic in this area that I don't understand.

gcc has 'spec' files.  So one gcc can cross-compile to different
ABIs.

Atomics are about as arch/ABI specific as anything.

> On an up to date Fedora system, the only stdatomic.h is stored in:
>  /usr/lib/gcc/i686-redhat-linux/4.9.2/include/stdatomic.h

So the ABI you are compiling to is named: i686-redhat-linux

Thhey call it that because it is NOT compatible with other i686
ABIs!  They do some weird shit munging parts of gcc 4.x and gcc 5.x
ABIs.

This is why I will never touch RedHat.

> So either there is something I don't know about that merges that into
> the search path, or it's built into the compiler and that's just a
> handy way to distribute it.

Not an 'or'.

gcc, as a builtin using spec files, merges that into the search path.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588