gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] OS X and git head

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] OS X and git head
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 15:24:48 -0400

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Eric!

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 18:42:27 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Where is the /dev/tty* created?
>
> In gps/fake.py.  Reading that code might bring enlightenment.

Worse than I thought.  I also see this on my Gentoo box:

Processing test/daemon/ac12.log
gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - retrying read-only
gpsd:ERROR: read-only device open failed: Permission denied
gpsd:ERROR: /dev/pts/9: device activation failed.
gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - retrying read-only
gpsd:ERROR: read-only device open failed: Permission denied
gpsd:ERROR: /dev/pts/9: device activation failed.

Looks like an device creation issue.  As root Gentoo creates devices
as 600, or otherwise as 666.

Are you runnning scons check as a normal user?

I ran into this exact issue on my Gentoo box, which I usually login as root on.  When Eric tested (standard user account), it worked.  It took me a while to figure out the issue was only when I tested as root.

The discussion was posted to the list.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588