gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC 2783

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC 2783
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 14:17:00 -0700

address@hidden said:
> Is there always, and necessarily, only *one* pps device?

No.

If nothing else, I want to be able to connect two so I can compare them.

The kernel time stamping also counts events.  That's a convenient hack for
measuring things.  So gpsd and ntpd have to be sure not to gobble up a PPS
device that isn't theirs.

Here is a graph made by feeding the 60 Hz power line via a transformer into a
PPS input and counting cycles:
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/Dec-2013.png

I think the Linux kernel supports PPS via the printer port.  I haven't tried
it, but the printer port is an old standby for hardware hacking.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.