gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons check fail gpsd3.14 ubuntu 14

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons check fail gpsd3.14 ubuntu 14
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 13:31:07 -0400

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:

> >> Shouldn't scons check use libgpsd.so.22.0.0 from the build directory?
> > You have to use chrpath=yes for that - this is explained in the build
> > instructions.
>
> If scons check really needs chrpath, it should bail with a sensible error
> message rather than testing with the wrong library which gives obscure error
> messages, or worse, actually works when the new library introduced a bug that
> scons check should have uncovered.

No, by that I mean that chrpath=yes is required to run scons check *using
libraries in the build directory*, not that it is required for scons check
to run at all.

> But I thought the plan for no chrpath was for scons check to use the local
> libraries and scons install to relink to use wherever they get installed.

Backwards.  That's what happens with chrpath=yes.  With chrpath=no the
binaries are built with an RPATH requiring the libraries to be in libdir,
in rootspace.

scons check works for me in this configuration.  It doesn't work for you.
I still don't know why it doesn't.

> How hard would it be to add a switch so scons check could check the post
> install code?

Check it for what?

Greg Troxel's proposal - require either chrpath or static linking for scons
check - is looking better all the time.  All this futzing around with edge
cases in the build is making me tired.