gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] libgps?

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] libgps?
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 22:22:28 +0100

On 03/21/2015 04:26 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Do we really have platforms where chrpath is not available?  How about
> making chrpath a hard dependency, except on named list of places where it's
> known not to work?  Then on most platforms this issue will go away.

I'm still a big fan of getting rid of chrpath. autotools and friends handle
such things just fine without chrpath, the only reason for this discussion is
the incomplete thing called scons.
One way to fix all problems would be to re-link all binaries at install time.
Or to install them into a .foo folder and provide wrapper scripts which do the
proper thing like libtool does. You can even run gdb with them if you read the
documentation.

> Packaging systems are not ok with making things that link with gpsd
> statically link gpsd libraries.  That means that the scope of security
> patching is much bigger; one can't just update the library with the bug.
> (gpsd has a very low rate of this, but that's not the point.)

yes and no. For libgpsd it would be okayish to link it statically as it is
shipped with the same source and nobody is supposed to use it. It would be
just a waste of memory if programs can't share the library.

For libgps[^d]* we need a shared library, there is no way around that as every
upload of gpsd would result in a rebuild of several hundreds of MB of source
code.

> So if you're talking about local copies for testing being static, and the
> installed versions still dynamic, that does not seem super problematic,
> other than accepting functional regressions due to hatred of libtool :-)

Which is not far from what I suggested above and in various other discussions
about chroot and scons on this list - re-link files in an appropriate way at
install time.

cheers,

bernd

- --