gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ntp reference clocks

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ntp reference clocks
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 13:09:42 -0700

Yo Sanjeev!

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 02:15:00 +0800
Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 1:25 AM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Sadly no.  It takes as many config lines in ntp.conf as doing it as
> > a SHM, and provides no extra benefits.
> >

> Oh.
>
> I was hoping that it would avoid having to calculate fudge factors,
> SHM issues, etc.

Nope.  You need the exact same fudge factor either way.  It does spare
you SHM issues, but instead add /dev/ baming issues.

Due to the old style fake IPv4 naming of ref clocks, you need a link
from you GPS to /dev/gpsX.  Then the refclock last octet is the X.

Also no way to get a naked /dev/ppsX from gpsd, which is the feature I'm
working on now.

I am all in favor of the new gpsd JSON driver, it just has a ways to
go to be better than the existing SHM driver.

At some point it would be cool if the ntpd JSON driver could poll gpsd
for time sources and auto-config, but not yet.

> I downloaded 4.3.10 and am building it on a Raspberry Pi, connected
> to the GR601W.  Will take a few more hours to complete :-)

Cool.  You'll note I have been adding RasPi comments to the INSTALL file.

That prolly needs to be forked, maybe: INSTALL.raspi.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588