gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons uninstall misses links to libraries

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons uninstall misses links to libraries
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 21:28:41 -0700

> I commonly rename gpsd to gpsd.OLD just uncase the update fails.

I'm missing the big picture.  How often do you use gpsd.OLD?

Why are you installing stuff before you are reasonably sure it will work?  Do
you have chrpath on that box?

With chrpath=yes, I can do all the testing I want with ./gpsd blah blah ...

Until recently, testing with chrpath=no in the build dir used the installed
libraries (if there were any) rather than the local ones.  I think it now
works if you use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but then you have to remember not to use it
if you want to run the installed code.

---------

Anyway, renaming gpsd to gpsd.OLD isn't good enough.  You also have to save
the libraries as the update may break them.  My straw man would be something
like:
  a script that saves everything off to the side with another to put them back
  That is low tech, but requires manual editing when "everything" changes.

  a script that gets the magic from git and a comment from you
  and stores that where it is easy to find.  Maybe prepend it to a file.
  Then to recover, you let git recover the sources and scons does the rest.
  That may be as simple as checking everything into git

-----

[not deleting stuff because of other packages linked to old libraries]

Yup.  But there is a general problem of cruft accumulating because nobody
deletes it, and part of the problem is just knowing what might be cruft.

The trick is that the names for all the gpsd related files that might now be
cruft have been in SConstruct at one point in time.

I think I'd be happy with a couple of options in scons.  One to list the
stuff that might be cruft, and another to delete (uninstall) it.  I can
delete stuff by hand but automating that step seems likely to reduce errors.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.