gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons uninstall misses links to libraries

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons uninstall misses links to libraries
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:08:41 -0700

Yo Hal!

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 21:28:41 -0700
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I commonly rename gpsd to gpsd.OLD just uncase the update fails.
>
> I'm missing the big picture.  How often do you use gpsd.OLD?

If it helps once, it wass a big win.

> Why are you installing stuff before you are reasonably sure it will
> work?

To test it.  As we have recetnly seen, there have been scons issues
about separating recently built and installed libraries.

> Do you have chrpath on that box?

Some yes, some no.  To test both paths.

> With chrpath=yes, I can do all the testing I want with ./gpsd blah
> blah ...

Except as recently seen, that had missed several recent failure modes.

> Until recently, testing with chrpath=no in the build dir used the
> installed libraries (if there were any) rather than the local ones.
> I think it now works if you use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but then you have to
> remember not to use it if you want to run the installed code.

Thus too complicated for the casual commiter.

> Anyway, renaming gpsd to gpsd.OLD isn't good enough.  You also have
> to save the libraries as the update may break them.  My straw man
> would be something like:
>   a script that saves everything off to the side with another to put
> them back That is low tech, but requires manual editing when
> "everything" changes.

I was talking about gpsd.OLD for older so versions.  Not for the same version,
so your commment does not apply here.

>   a script that gets the magic from git and a comment from you
>   and stores that where it is easy to find.  Maybe prepend it to a
> file. Then to recover, you let git recover the sources and scons does
> the rest. That may be as simple as checking everything into git

Possibly, got patches?

> [not deleting stuff because of other packages linked to old libraries]
>
> Yup.  But there is a general problem of cruft accumulating because
> nobody deletes it, and part of the problem is just knowing what might
> be cruft.

Which Gentoo solves nicely.

> The trick is that the names for all the gpsd related files that might
> now be cruft have been in SConstruct at one point in time.

Yes, so SConstuct should be made to warn the user if obsolete things
are present.

> I think I'd be happy with a couple of options in scons.  One to list
> the stuff that might be cruft, and another to delete (uninstall) it.
> I can delete stuff by hand but automating that step seems likely to
> reduce errors.

Works for me.  Patches?

RGDS
GARY