gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] SHM broken

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] SHM broken
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 01:06:17 -0700

> Well, except RedHat gcc 4.9.2 is not the same a Gnu gcc 4.9.2
> RedHat always plays games with version numerbers and upstream version
> numbers.

> Last I checked RedHat gcc 4.9.2 was not C11 by default, thus no memory
> barriers.  GNU gcc 4.9.2 is C11 by default, thus memory barriers.

Thanks.  I've mostly been sheltered from that layer of "interesting" quirks.

It's not just RedHat.  I get similar problems on Debian, Ubuntu, NetBSD, and
FreeBSD.

The only systems I have handy access to that default to supporting c11 are
Alpha versions of the next Fedora release.  Their man page for gcc says it
defaults to gnu11.
cc (GCC) 5.0.0 20150319 (Red Hat 5.0.0-0.21)

I tried CC="cc -std=c11".  That barfed on the asm stuff.
CC="cc -std=gnu11" worked on some machines dies on others with:
  unrecognized command line option
Removing the C11 test works on a few machines.
I haven't found a good solution.  (or even a crappy one)

Sigh.  I thought this stuff was under control.  I guess I'll go bang my head
against some other wall.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.