gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ntp reference clocks

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ntp reference clocks
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 12:14:29 -0700

Yo juergen!

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 19:24:24 +0100
juergen perlinger <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Due to the old style fake IPv4 naming of ref clocks, you need a link
> > from you GPS to /dev/gpsX.  Then the refclock last octet is the X.
> >
> > Also no way to get a naked /dev/ppsX from gpsd, which is the
> > feature I'm working on now.
> If that seems useful, I could use 'readlink()' to get the underlying
> 'true' device name for the communication between NTPD and GPSD. But
> that would not remove the need for a symlink, though it might make
> things easier for GPSD. Gary, what's your opinion here?

A link is a link.  The current way works, given the contraints.  Ideally
the gpsd-json driver should query for available gpsd-json time sources
and autoconfig.

I appreciate that will take a while to happen, but autoconfig is always
the goal, at least for trivial cases.  But after the current code
gets some real world usage.

> What NTPD is really missing is a standard way for IO configuration,
> including the device names. Not to mention baud rates and alike...
> But adjusting all drivers to such a new schema would be quite some
> work, I think.

Yup.  Long overdue work.  Someday.

> >> I downloaded 4.3.10 and am building it on a Raspberry Pi, connected
> >> to the GR601W.  Will take a few more hours to complete :-)
> > Cool.  You'll note I have been adding RasPi comments to the INSTALL
> > file.
> >
> > That prolly needs to be forked, maybe: INSTALL.raspi.
> Attention -- I have not yet integrated the updated driver into
> ntp-dev or -stable! I wanted to be sure that there are no obvious
> bugs in the code...

Understood.  No gpsd doc mentions it yet, but the word is out and
devs want to play with it.

> Gary, did you find anything that needs repair soon? If not, I would
> create a bug/featrure report and have my changes merged.

gpsd needs to send you the precision since there is no way for you
to guess it.  On my short list to add to the json.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588