gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 05:12:14 +0100

On 24.03.2015 22:48, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

The only option I see is to take autotools or cmake,

*No.* That will *not happen*.  I consider both designs fatally flawed.
You will get no further by continuing to beat this drum - all it does
is irritate me, not persuade me in any way.

They might be flawed, but they work, proven in MUCH larger projects.

If the price of that not happening is that we lose your participation,
I will - very reluctantly - pay that price. You were a pleasure to
work with before you got this fixated idea that SCons is your enemy.
Now you are not rational on this subject. If you can't let go of that,
the project has to let go of you.

scons is not my enemy, it is just not usable in its current state.
In an open source world that means it needs to be fixed or replaced.
As there are well working alternatives, it should be - imho - replaced.
You are not considering those alternatives, so it should be your job
to fix SCONS, not work around its issues by introducing crappy linking.

Back when you introduced scons I've already suggested ways to get rid
of chrpath, none was implemented.

I will compromise this far: if you can choose a *one-stage* build
system (no Makefile generation) that you think is better than SCons,
it will get my most serious consideration, and probly adoption.  Waaf
might be mature enough at this point. I haven't been keeping track.

waf is worse than scons as the upstream author has his own pretty wrong
ideas about how things should work. Search for the discussions why
it was removed from Debian.

In the meantime, I'm going to implement the simplification I proposed.
Perhaps once you calm down you will see that it works.

I'm fully calmed down. I'm just not sure if I should either bother to
waste my time or just fork gpsd to implement the build system in cmake.

Various mails on this list and directly addressed to my show that
I'm not the only one who thinks that scons is - in its current state
- nothing one wants to use.