gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:37:05 -0400

On 25 Mar 2015 06:52, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden>:
> > Various mails on this list and directly addressed to my show that
> > I'm not the only one who thinks that scons is - in its current state
> > - nothing one wants to use.
>
> I can see no evidence of this.  You are the only person who has been
> agitating for a change in build system.

waf & scons are both terrible pieces of software especially for distributions.
fortunately scons appears to be dying (like <50 packages in Gentoo out of
15,000+), and waf hasn't been picked up too much (like ~30 packages).

i prefer autotools myself having used most of the different build systems out
there, but i understand that a lot of people can't handle doing them right, and
the speed of the configure phase is too long (due to lack of parallel tests).
in general though, even when people do autotools wrong, it seems like it's
still better than scons.  could probably summarize scons as "make every person
try and write their own python code and give them a crap framework to do it in".
-mike