gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] PRN numbers

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: [gpsd-dev] PRN numbers
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 21:55:18 +0800

Folks,

I am confused on what GPSD expects as PRN, and what it outputs.

PRNs are NOT standardised accross systems.  For GLONASS, as it uses FDMA, not CDMA, there is no PRN number at all, just a pseudo PRN :-)

In a recent commit, Eric says:
+ * According to IS-GPS-200 Revision H paragraph 6.3.6, and earlier revisions
+ * at least back to E, the upper bound of U.S. GPS PRNs is actually 64. However,
+ * NMEA0183 only allocates 1-32 for U.S. GPS IDs; it uses 33-64 for IDs ub the
+ * SBAS range.

I see an issue here.  Within the GPSD ecosystem ( and only for this, ignore everything else), do we follow IS-GPS-200 (which is not canonical for GLONASS, BeiDou, etc), or NMEA?

We seem to be mixing up the two.

And this is _detection_ .  It may be quite possible that we output, while pretending to be a NMEA talker, the NMEA PRNs.

Example:  IS-GPS-200 is quite clear that the range 1-64 is reserved for them.  1-32 is for our current constellation, 33 and 37 are currently in use by supplementary systems, and the rest will be used eventually.

NMEA 0183 (I believe because the field is limited to 6 bits) needs PRNs to be 1-64.  Hence its mapping of GLONASS into that area.  How they plan to handle the other 182 national GNSS systems soon to be announced is left as an exercise for the reader.

My patches earlier were trying to update documentation on one issue I saw, but I see from Eric's following mails that the issue may be deeper, and requires some design understanding.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane