gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Another query on terminology

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Another query on terminology
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 01:24:01 +0800

Eric,

In some document (eg www/NMEA.txt)  we say:

"
a. GPS satellites are identified by their PRN numbers, which range from 1 to 32.
"
which implies that "GPS" is the US-specific constellation.  The other constellations are referred to by name (GLONASS, BeiDou, etc).  The term "GNSS" does not appear.

In other documents (www/hacking.html.in) we seem to use the term GNSS as complementary: "The GPS/GNSS monitoring tools"

In drivers.c , I see:
:
3  NMEA_SEN_GGA,  GPGGA   interval - GPS Fix Data
4  NMEA_SEN_GSA,  GPGSA   interval - GNSS DOPS and Active Satellites
5  NMEA_SEN_GSV,  GPGSV   interval - GNSS Satellites in View
6  NMEA_SEN_GRS,  GPGRS   interval - GNSS Range Residuals
7  NMEA_SEN_GST,  GPGST   interval - GNSS Pseudorange Errors Statistics
13 NMEA_SEN_MALM, PMTKALM interval - GPS almanac information
"
which seems to be mixing up stuff.

Suggestion: we use either one of:
  1. GNSS as a generic, and GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou as systems
  2. GPS as generic, and Navstar, GLONASS, BeiDou as systems

Once you take this decision, I believe it will hep clarify the PRN issue a little as well.  This will not impact code, just the documentation.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane