gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Another query on terminology

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Another query on terminology
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 01:59:22 +0800

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 1:42 AM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
>   1. GNSS as a generic, and GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou as systems
>    2. GPS as generic, and Navstar, GLONASS, BeiDou as systems

I've been thinking about this as well.  Let's go with 2, it will confuse
most people less I think.  Go ahead and patch this.  Include definition
of "Navstar" where appropriate, and mention the ambiguity of "GPS".

From Salon, the guys who print first and journalise later:
"GPSD 3.16 supports GLONASS, Beidou, Navstar, and even some unimplemented Indian and Japanese systems, but seems to have dropped support for the US GPS.  Is this a right-wing conspiracy?"

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane