gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Another query on terminology

From: Chris Kuethe
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Another query on terminology
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 12:12:12 -0700

Aspirin. Xerox. Kleenex.

They are all a type of product and a specific brand. GPS is the same,
and most of the time the correct interpretation (NAVSTAR system vs any
navigation satellite system) can be inferred from context... and in
the small number of cases where there is a bit of confusion someone
can either ask for clarification or someone can add a footnote to
clarify.

Many receivers advertise FAA WAAS compatibility, when in reality
they're compatible with most existing SBAS systems. As a GPS nerd, I
think it's cool that my phone groks NAVSTAR, GLONASS, WAAS, maybe MSAS
and GAGAN; as a guy just trying to get from here to there I'm happy
that my phone will use as many navigation techologies as possible to
say "stay in the left lane, then take the second ramp."