gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Copy of IEC 61162-1

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Copy of IEC 61162-1
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 16:47:49 -0400

Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden>:
> And if we are speaking of the GPSD project, again, $300 is peanuts.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that $300 is *not* peanuts.  In fact it
is more than the cumulative total I have been able to spend on test
hardware in the roughly ten years I've been running GPSD.  And way
more than the amount of donations we've received.

But even if we had a budget, I don't want a copy of anything I can't
redistribute freely.  Thee are two reasons for this.

1. I need to write documentation.  I need to write documentation without
worrying that the evil slime-weasel rat-bastards at NMEA will trump up
an IP lawsuit at me.  Thus, I have to be pure as the fucking snow. Asking
you to review my NMEA documentation *without editing it yourself* is as
close as I can safely come to reading the NMEA standard.

2. I object, violently and in principle, to life-critical standards
being proprietary/restricted.  Thus, I won't give NMEA my money and
won't stand for anyone else giving them money on my behalf either.