gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Cheap GPS devices with PPS

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Cheap GPS devices with PPS
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:22:28 +0800

A year or so ago, I bought to GR-601W from some one on this list.  I regret that I can no longer trace those mails.  Whoever it was, thank you.  i am using it with a RPi, doing git pulls and scons install twice a day.  It feeds an NTP server in the pool: http://www.pool.ntp.org/scores/59.189.61.57

I spent the last few days looking for a USB or RS232 mouse that supports BeiDou-2.  2 reasons:
  1. Validate if we are processing BD2 correctly
  2. See what NMEA-IDs or PRNs are reported

I could not find any (this included mainland China eBay-clones).  Lots of people selling modules, but not complete units.

I have contacted Navisys in Taiwan, and spoken with a helpful lady.  I asked for the GR-8014W.

Sidebar:

I am ordering two samples to be shipped to Singapore (they are out of stock, lead time 7-10 days).  I will ship one to whoever wants one to play with.  You may ask for a "R" unit if you like.

I enquired about if there is a retail site, but my english != her english, so this did not go well.  I will try and track this down

If anyone else wants a unit, please fill up here.
http://bit.ly/1D2iTFR
Note that your responses are public, I will contact you separately for your postal address.  Price is approx US$50  + under US$10 Registered Post.  You are NOT committing to a purchase by filling in the form.  Please fill up requests by 12 noon UTC Sunday.  I will revert with exact prices by 12 noon UTC Monday and you have a day to confirm.

Note that the 801 has a battery, Navisys wishes to use DHL to ship to me.  I will ignore this, and any shipments I make will be by normal post.

I can also introduce you directly to the lady at Navisys, if you want other models.

Please see the datasheet Navisys sent me: http://bit.ly/1GwG1zX

Of interest:
p iii: This is a new model!
p 1: Read the last line.  The people I spoke to in Taiwan had not heard of gpsd.
p 4: Unit is aware of leap seconds
p10: BeiDou NMEA-IDs are 400+

Let me know if you need more info.
--