gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Modifying (severly) hardware.html

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Modifying (severly) hardware.html
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:00:56 -0700

address@hidden said:
> The current: http://www.catb.org/gpsd/hardware.html is good, if you have a
> model in mind.  Not so good if you are asking "What should I buy that is
> supported?"

If that's the question, I think the format of the answer would be a short
list of known to work well devices and/or devices to beware of, probably
focusing on the chips.

This is what I would say if somebody asked me "What should I get?"

SiRF 3 is good but poor for timing without PPS.  (100 ms wander)

SiRF 4 doesn't work well in binary mode.  Is it OK in NMEA mode?

The uBlox chips are good.  (I think.)

The Garmin 18x is OK.  Same PPS/wander problem as SiRF.

The xxx chip on the Sure board is good.  (Needs soldering to get PPS.)

The ???? chip on the Adafruit GPS hat works OK.

PPS over USB works and is often much better than no PPS but not as good as
PPS via a real serial port or GPIO.  (Has anybody tried a printer port
recently?)

Older devices are much less sensitive.  Modern devices often work well enough
indoors where older chips frequently drop out.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.