gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Modifying (severly) hardware.html

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Modifying (severly) hardware.html
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 02:51:16 -0700

address@hidden said:
> (The Sure board uses an engine called a SKG16B which is otherwise
> unattested. The Adafruit hat has a Venus 6 in it.)

Adafruit has several GPS gizmos.

One is a HAT for Raspberry Pi.
  http://www.adafruit.com/products/2324

Another is a breakout board.
  https://www.adafruit.com/products/746

They both use the same module which includes an antenna and a MTK3339 chip.
Their web page for the HAT doesn't mention the MTK3339.  It is covered on the
page for the breakout board.  The module is PA6H.  Deep inside the data sheet
for the PA6H from the HAT page, there is reference to the MTK3339.

They also sell the module without a board.
  http://www.adafruit.com/products/790
I didn't check carefully, but I didn't see any info that isn't on the first two
web pages.

I think the Venus chip comes from SparkFun.
  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11058

I tried gpsmon on both of the above chips, both direct and via gpsd.  It never
got out of NMEA mode.

>From an off-list message:
> We've never seen a Venus. This one might get recognized as an MTK; we have a
> driver for the 3301 through 3329 models.

I guess I have a 3339.  (I was wondering.  It's been sitting on my to-do pile
for a while.)

>From gpsmon log after I typed "i":

$PMTK705,AXN_2.31_3339_13101700,5632,PA6H,1.0*6B^M
$PMTK001,320,3*31^M
$PMTK001,300,3*33^M
$PMTK001,314,3*36^M

$PMTK001,301,3*32^M
$PMTK001,313,3*31^M
$PMTK001,424,1*30^M

Is that enough to figure out how to support the 3339?  If not, is there
something simple I can type to get more info or would it be a lot easier if you
had access to it?  I think the data sheet is on the breakout board web page.

----------

I like Gary's suggestion of splitting things by applicaion.  It may work out
better to have a short section for each application that tells you what to look
for in the main descriptions.

Another thing we need is a list of USB chips that do/don't support PPS.  How
does that very with OS?

--------

There is another worm is this can.  Is there a difference between supported
(meaning gpsd uses the proprietary binary protocol) and works well in NMEA mode?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.