gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Recipe for installing new-enough scons is broken

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Recipe for installing new-enough scons is broken
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 02:48:35 -0700

address@hidden said:
> With the release of jessie last month, 2.3 in in the archive.  These
> instructions can probably be removed, and replaced with "Use jessie (Debian
> 8.0)".

That's the kind of attitude that drives people like me up the wall.

You don't get to tell me what distro or what version of a distro I decide to
use.

[Apologies in advance if I misinterpreted what you were trying to say, but
that's the way it came across.]

Gpsd does get to select which distros and/or which versions of distros they
support.  It would be nice if there were a general policy that was simple and
well advertised.

I'd expect something like "we support all supported versions of all major
distros", with some qualification about needing a volunteer to test on that
distro and a liaison to do whatever it takes to actually get the bits into
the distro's support/distribution infrastructure if a distro wants to ship
gpsd via their package manager.

Another possibility is to list the tools and versions that are required.
That's clean, but inconvenient since most people don't keep track of which
version of tools get shipped with the distro they are using and distros
sometimes complicate things by making local mods.

In this context "support" has two interpretations.  One is runtime.  The
other is build environment.  So you end up with something like "runs on
wheezy but needs scons 2.3 from wheezy-backports to build".

Debian says they will support Wheezy for another year or so and via LTS until
May 2018.
  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
  https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

Unless you are dropping support for building on wheezy (and Raspberrian and
probably others), the directions for setting up wheezy-backports are still
needed and will be needed for several more years.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.