gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd crashes upon external tcp server failure

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd crashes upon external tcp server failure
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 09:25:48 -0400

Roy Barkas <address@hidden>:
> *The good news: *
> Since building and installing the latest version with the patch that you
> mentioned *I have not seen any further instances of the daemon crashing. *
>
> Thanks for the fix

Nice to know the fix works as expected.

> *The not so good??? news:*
>
> What should the daemons behaviour be when a connected tcp data source
> becomes unavailable, then, later, becomes available again?

> I think that the best behaviour when an input tcp connection is lost, would
> be to retry forever, perhaps slowing the retry rate as successive attempts
> fail.

Yes, but it's not going to work that way until we figure out why leaving
the device in the pool after an activation failure makes GPSD crash.

If you want the retry behavior back, the mist useful thing you could do would
be to (a) back out the fix 'Free a GPS if it fails to activate on awakening.
Fixes crash-exit bug', then (b) reproduce the crash-exit with logging turned
way up high so we have some hope of figuring out why gpsd is exiting.