gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Off by a second

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Off by a second
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 13:36:05 -0700

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 13:22:43 -0700
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden said:
> > Being off by exactly 1 second, my guess is the GPS forgot to take
> > the leap second.  Not much gpsd can do when a GPS fails to know the
> > correct time.
>
> No, it's not a leap-second problem.  That was 8 hours into the new
> day.  I just happened to notice because I was looking for quirks that
> might have been triggered by the leap second.
>
> Just to check, I power cycled it.  No change.

A power cycle will not help.  The GPS needs to download a new almanac
with the new leap second data.  AFAIK it is not in the ephemeris.

> > If your GPS has not figured out the correct leap second by now you
> > could add 1 second to your ntp fudge to mitigate the GPS failure.
>
> That sounds like you don't want to fix it.

If we can identify something that gpsd can do better I'm all for it.  But
we went through this the last leap second and no good solution was found.

For comparison, all my test GPS's handled the leap second just fine.

Ideas welcome.

Can you send your full ntpq -p output?  I would like to double check that
your NTP peers have the proper leap second.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588