gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Ubuntu 15.10 will have python3 as default

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Ubuntu 15.10 will have python3 as default
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 22:01:06 +0200

On 07/17/2015 02:25 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> See:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2015-June/038799.html

Ubuntu will shift to python 3.5 as the default for 15.10.  Python 2.7 wi
ll
>> be available, but will have to be explicitly called.
>>
>> Scons (neither 2.3.4 available now, nor 2.3.5 upstream) support
>> python3. There is some ongoing work, but no firm date I can
>> find.
>
> Wow, that seems premature.

scons is not only stuck in the past decade, in the current way it is
also not possible to build modules/extensions for python3.

Not to forget that I can't imagine that the gpsd modules are python 3
compatible at all.

> The only sane thing to do with python is to bind to a particular
> version at build time.   pkgsrc has been doing this for a long
> time, in that there is python2.7, python3.4 but no bare python.
> Thus each python-using package can build against whatever versions
> work, and it's all independent, except for some packages that have
> both prefixed files (in /usr/pkg/lib/pythonX.Y) and globally-name
> files, and you can only have one of those.
>
> I am not clear on how gpsd deals, but it seems like the build
> should be able to start off with a path to particular python
> version.

Building for different python versions is easy, just call scons with
the python version you like to build for and it will build the
appropriate files. In Debian I'm doing something like

for i in $supported_python_versions; do $i scons $sconsoptions; done