gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Ubuntu 15.10 will have python3 as default

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Ubuntu 15.10 will have python3 as default
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 17:03:32 -0400

Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden>:
> Not to forget that I can't imagine that the gpsd modules are python 3
> compatible at all.

I'm aware of the problem.  It can't be solved by trying to jump to Python 3
eveywhere, because the fundamental problem is that "#!/usr/bin/env python"
can now mean two different things.  Getting it right for some systems will
imply getting it wrong for others.

I think the only recourse we have is to start using "#!/usr/bin/env python2"
and hope that all our targets have python2 links.  If it turns out some
don't, there's a really grotty hack we could pull making a local python2
link to a system-dependent Python location.

I just tested; this works for Ubuntu.  I'll check in the change that does

  replace '#!/usr/bin/env python' '#!/usr/bin/env python2'

and we'll just have to see what breaks.  There isn't going to be any
elegant solution to this one.