gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Ubuntu 15.10 will have python3 as default

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Ubuntu 15.10 will have python3 as default
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 17:24:36 -0400

Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden>:
> Scons (neither 2.3.4 available now, nor 2.3.5 upstream) support python3.
> There is some ongoing work, but no firm date I can find.
>
> There are two issues:
>
>    1. scons does not work if called with the python3 interpreter
>    2. scons needs to call python functions, in its build process, that may
>    be python3 (eg gpsd build scripts)
>
> Even if scons is released in the next few weeks to support python3, what
> does it mean to our build dependencies?  build.txt says:
>
>      |Python 2.x, x >= 6 | some code is generated from python scripts
>
> Data points, with /usr/bin/python linked to /usr/bin/python3.4:
>
>    1. "scons" fails
>    2. "python2 /usr/bin/scons" succeeds
>    3. "python2 /usr/bin/scons check" fails (95 out of 95 errors)

If you try that again with the change I just pushed, I think you'll
find that the regression tests succeed because gpsfake now has
"#!/usr/bin/env python2".

There isn't anything we can do about 1.  The scons maintainers
can fix it fairly trivially by using "#!/usr/bin/env python2"
providung they're willing to make the same assumotion we do (which
I actually think is pretty safe.)

I'll amend the build instructions to note that if "python" links to
Python 3 you need to say "python2 /usr/bin/scons".

That's as good as we can do.  The problem is intrinsic...