gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Urgent: Need a fix for this weird GPSD behaviour...

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Urgent: Need a fix for this weird GPSD behaviour...
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:42:40 -0700

Yo address@hidden

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:31:35 -0400
<address@hidden> wrote:

> The code was in the email itself !

Ah, I did not scroll that far down, but my comment is still the same,
use the library as documented.

> And I don't understand what you mean by "... Don't try to rewrite the
> gpsd library..."... our application is client of gpsd... not the
> other way around !

OK, to be clear, I mean the library gpsd distributes for access to
a running gpsd.

> Anyway so "gpsmm.waiting()" MUST be used ?...

No, but it CAN be used and so if you are in a hurry do not reinvent the
wheel.

> Not
> using this call is right now the only difference between our code and
> the C++ samples provided here:
> http://www.catb.org/gpsd/client-howto.html#_c_examples_2

Then that would seem to also point to that as a problem.  In addition
to the no '-n'.

> Would using .data() or some other function do the trick ?... If we
> have to use "gpsmm.waiting()" then the code would freeze the UI and
> RF communication loops so I would need to isolate the GPSD related
> functions in a separated thread...

I'm not a C++ guy, so I can't give you any details C++ help.  I do know
that other people get it to work.

> I might not have enough time to
> make this modifications before our presentation....

Not my problem :--)  More Red Bull?

> Can you explain to
> me why we're having this weird offset behaviour and XGPS or CGPS
> doesn't ?

Not enough info, you have not even said if you are running cgps and
your program at the same time.  But if so, and you know cgps works, and
libgpsmmm works with the example code, so the problem is likely the one
thing you changed.  Your code.

> Is there a buffer involved in the read() function I would not manage
> on consider properly ? When I call read(), I expect the "current"
> location, not the one where I was 5 minutes ago !

Sadly I am not a C++ guy, if you needed a C answer I could give that.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588