gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Fedora 23 will have python3 as default

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Fedora 23 will have python3 as default
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 13:49:21 +0800

(This will sound very similar to my mail of 17 Jul).

Fedora 23 will have python3 as its default.  See:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default

At install time, only python3 will be installed, it will be available as /usr/bin/pythn3 .  There will be no /usr/bin/python by default.  Users may install it if they wish.

To reiterate, for those who came in late:
Scons (neither 2.3.4 available now, nor 2.3.5 upstream) support python3.  There is some ongoing work, but no firm date I can find.

There are two issues:
  1. scons does not work if called with the python3 interpreter
  2. scons needs to call python functions, in its build process, that may be python3 (eg gpsd build scripts)

I will fire up a Fedora23 VM today, and report more info.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane