gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] SCons error is misleading

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: [gpsd-dev] SCons error is misleading
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 13:45:37 +0800

Hi,

Was installing a new server for the ntp pool project today, so did a:
git clone
scons
scons www

The last fails, snippet below:

Checking that xsltproc can make man pages... (cached) yes
Checking for QtNetwork... (cached) no
Altered configuration variables:
qt = False (default True): build QT bindings
Part of the website build requires asciidoc, not installed.
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: *** [www] Source `www/installation.html' not found, needed by target `www'.

The reason is clear to me, after scrolling up and reading the scons run a few times, but the error is misleading.  www/installation.html is not a source file, it the output of:

    env.Command("www/installation.html",
                "INSTALL",
                ["asciidoc -o www/installation.html INSTALL"])

I understand the error now, it is the www/ target that fails, but I still contend that there must be a better way to signal this.
--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane