gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Jon's commit 70e9681

From: Jon Schlueter
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Jon's commit 70e9681
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 20:30:34 -0500

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016, Fred Wright wrote (in another thread):
> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Robert Norris wrote:
>
> > Thus this ensures *all* test programs are at least compiled (and should have flagged the failing test_gpsmm earlier).
>
> The purpose of 'check' is to run a particular subset of the tests.
> Verifying that tests that it's *not* running build properly is beyond its
> job description.  Every test that it *does* run depends on the programs it
> needs, so adding 'testprogs' to 'check' is completely redundant.  If you
> want to make sure that everything builds, build everything. :-) Perhaps a
> 'buildall' target would be useful, but "scons build testprogs" works now.

(note that the last clause turned out to be untrue)

I only just noticed that in the midst of this discussion (I believe before
I posted the above), commit 70e9681 added 'testprogs' to the 'check'
target.  It also moved 'testclean' to the front, which is inconsistent
with the intent of commit 9517cc8 ("...and have the check target clean up
after itself.").

Comments?

your right.  I didn't dig back through the history like I should have.

Change reverted and pushed

Jon