gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 01:42:14 -0400

Joshua Judson Rosen <address@hidden>:
> Haven't python-gobject and pygtk both been deprecated for a while--
> in favour of just using python-gi?

I didn't know this.

> Looking at the Debian package description for python-gtk2, it says:
>
>       This package is deprecated, you should migrate to using
>       gobject-introspection (GIR) based python bindings instead (PyGObject).
>       https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/PyGObject/IntrospectionPorting
>
> That would seem to explain why there's nothing like a "python3-gtk" package
> in Ubuntu....

And, remarkably enough, forward-porting to Gtk 3.0 and the gi bindings
was almost painless. Their pygi-convert.sh script did most of the job.
My only complaint is...jeez, how much effort would it have taken to
leave "expose-event" in place as a synonym for "draw"?  I had to google
for that one.

I'll clean this up and push it once I've had some sleep.

(gtk2 under Python was the most elegantly designed binding for a graphics
API I had ever seen in any combination of language and toolkit, ever. I am
very pleased that python-gi seems not to have lost that lovely simplicity.)