gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:21:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Fred Wright <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > MacPorts has gobject for Python 3, but not pygtk.  If neither OSX nor
> > Linux have it, it's probably not even worth looking at xBSD.
>
> Please explain your BSD comment - I don't understand it at all.
>
> pkgsrc is actually in very good shape about python3; python3 versions
> are available more or less if the upstream version works.

That was before I knew that "pygtk" is actually available, but under a
different name (that took some digging to find out).  My assumption was
that if some relatively new software wasn't yet available for either Linux
or OSX (as appeared at the time), then the chances of its being available
for BSD were small.

You may have seen my more recent post about the updated xgps working on
OSX with py-gobject3 from Macports.  I only tested it with Python 2.7, but
py-gobject3 is available for some Python 3 versions (via the usual
versioned subport mechanism that MacPorts uses for Python code).

Fred Wright