gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Windows DLL Build on github

From: Robert Norris
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Windows DLL Build on github
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 22:58:57 +0000

As an Easter gift, I've put my work on creating a Windows DLL up at github here:

https://github.com/rnorris/gpsd/tree/WindowsDLLCrossBuild

Comments and feedback is of course welcome here, on github or direct email.
Note that I'm away from home for over a week and unlikely to have much internet
connectivity until I return.

I hope all but the last two patches in some form will get put into the master
gpsd repository.
[The last two patches are more for reference on creating the DLL under cross
compiling via OBS -
 ATM I perform this locally on a OpenSUSE 32bit VM]

Most of the patches are reliant on the previous patch in order to work,
although I've tried my best to keep each patch as small and logically related
as possible.

Thus far it appears the DLL works and the statically built test_libgps[.exe]
when run via wine, communicates with a Linux host gpsd - as seen by console
messages when running with a high debug level on the server and client.

Unfortunately at present I have not got my end client application (Viking)
working on Windows (again running under wine) using the libgps.dll; however I
think this is due to way Viking tries to determine when to read from libgps.
I don't have much of development set up for Windows - so debugging can be
rather laborious by adding basic print statements/extra debug output to work
out what's going on or not.

At some point (in a couple of weeks) I will have access to a native Windows 7
system and I hope to finalize code/testing then as sometimes the running on
wine has subtle issues compared to being on the real deal.

--
Be Seeing You - Rob.
If at first you don't succeed,