gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:02:50 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> > > Aside from implementing the limit correctly, there's the question
> > > of whether it's time to increase the limit, due to the growth of
> > > the overall GNSS constellation.  Anything that puts lists of
> > > satellites in a window form is affected; this includes cgps,
> > > xgps, and gpsmon.
> >
> > Yeah, sounds like a good project for someone handy with curses or
> > Python Gdk.
> >
> > > Even just using my GLONASS-capable Android phone as a source
> > > *indoors* can exceed xgps's 20-satellite limit.
> >
> > What do you use on your Android?  I use 'GPS Status', but it is only
> > graphical.
>
> For looking on the phone itself I use 'GPS Test', which I decided I
> liked better than 'GPS Status' (though I haven't compared them
> recently).

Nice eye candy, but 'SPS Status' shows more sensors.  Persona;
choice I guess.

> For the testing I referred to, I found an app called 'GPS over BT',
> which exports data over a Bluetooth serial connection.

Ah, I'm hoping for something Android native.

> My understanding is that recent versions of Android use GPSD
> internally, but when sshing into the device I don't see anything
> relevant in ps or netstat.

I downloaded the AOSP code, and also found nothing gpsd like.  But
in that 15GB it would be easy to miss.

> Currently, GPSD chokes on data from the SxBlueIII-GNSS, which I
> suspect is due to not liking the mixture of NMEA and binary data.

gpsd can handle NMEA interleaved with SiRF and Skytraq binary.  SO
might be easy to fix.  Send me a raw output file and I'll look at it.

> By the time Beidou and Galileo are fully deployed (in addition to the
> currently operational GPS and GLONASS), there will be around 150
> navigation satellites globally (not counting the regional IRNSS or
> QZSS), though only about half of the non-geostationary ones are
> visible at any given time.

The limit will be the GPS, I see some can do up to 66 channels:

    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8975

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588