gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 18:58:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
> Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> > My understanding is that recent versions of Android use GPSD
> > internally, but when sshing into the device I don't see anything
> > relevant in ps or netstat.
>
> I downloaded the AOSP code, and also found nothing gpsd like.  But
> in that 15GB it would be easy to miss.

Well, it certainly has something called 'gpsd' that one can see in the
GUI, though it might just be a name collision.  There are various threads
about "gpsd eating my battery" which should more correctly be "apps
constantly requesting fine location eating my battery".

> > Currently, GPSD chokes on data from the SxBlueIII-GNSS, which I
> > suspect is due to not liking the mixture of NMEA and binary data.
>
> gpsd can handle NMEA interleaved with SiRF and Skytraq binary.  SO
> might be easy to fix.  Send me a raw output file and I'll look at it.

Actually, I just tried it again and it didn't choke (and setti=led on the
generic NMEA driver), so I'm not sure what was going on when I tried it
before, but this receiver is finicky enough about antenna placement when
running indoors that it's not the best choice for most testing, anyway.
There is something GPSD doesn't like about the GPGSV data in this case (no
fix but some satellite stats available), but I don't want to take the time
to investigate now.

If you want log data anyway, I can send you some if you like.  I even have
some spanning the 2015 leap second. :-) And I can generate human-readable
decodes of most of the sentence and message types.

> > By the time Beidou and Galileo are fully deployed (in addition to the
> > currently operational GPS and GLONASS), there will be around 150
> > navigation satellites globally (not counting the regional IRNSS or
> > QZSS), though only about half of the non-geostationary ones are
> > visible at any given time.
>
> The limit will be the GPS, I see some can do up to 66 channels:
>
>     https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8975

Considering that the SxBlueIII-GNSS has either 117 or 372 channels
(depending on which version of the spec you believe), not necessarily. :-)

        http://www.sxbluegps.com/product/sxblue-iiiplus-gnss/
and

http://www.sxbluegps.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/SXBlue_III_GNSS_EN_181115.pdf

Fred Wright