gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:15:53 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 18:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I downloaded the AOSP code, and also found nothing gpsd like.  But
> > in that 15GB it would be easy to miss.
>
> Well, it certainly has something called 'gpsd' that one can see in the
> GUI, though it might just be a name collision.

I'll wait to decide when someone finds the code.

> There are various
> threads about "gpsd eating my battery" which should more correctly be
> "apps constantly requesting fine location eating my battery".

Yup.

> Actually, I just tried it again and it didn't choke (and setti=led on
> the generic NMEA driver), so I'm not sure what was going on when I
> tried it before, but this receiver is finicky enough about antenna
> placement when running indoors that it's not the best choice for most
> testing, anyway.

I have found another issue.  I have some USB cables that corrupt
the data.  Happened to me yesterday and confused me for hours.  Swapping
the cable and my problems went away.

> If you want log data anyway, I can send you some if you like.  I even
> have some spanning the 2015 leap second. :-) And I can generate
> human-readable decodes of most of the sentence and message types.

That would be great.  Then I can add them to the regression tests.  I'm
seeing all sorts of corner cases triggered in gpsd from the newer GPS.

> Considering that the SxBlueIII-GNSS has either 117 or 372 channels
> (depending on which version of the spec you believe),

That's crazy.  Since it is also dual band, maybe they mean 117 channels
per band.

What do those thigns cost?  Must be a lot to come in a fancy case.  :-)

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588