gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:00:18 -0700 (PDT)
> Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I happened to want to try this receiver again for another reason, and
> > I think I now see what the trouble is, and it has nothing to do with
> > the data.  When pointing GPSD at the Bluetooth serial device on the
> > Mac, it usually (but not always) thinks (based on the log messages)
> > that it's supposed to be a PPS source (even though the doc claims
> > that there are rather specific naming requirements for a PPS
> > device).  Sanitizing it by passing the data through nc and pointing
> > GPSD at the TCP port gets around it.
>
> Odd, if you can send me a trace "gpsd -nND 8 /dev/ttyXXX" I can get
> that fixed.

OK, I'll do that off list (with -b as well).

>From the man page:

        The device name must start with "/dev/pps"...

And the actual device name is:

        /dev/cu.SXBlue3GNSS13043XRA13-S

> > That's the opposite of the problem I have on my time server
> > (BeagleBone Black running Debian stable), where GPSD refuses to
> > recognize my actual PPS source (direct GPIO from the GPS cape).
>
> It can't, you need to tell gpsd where to find the PPS since there is
> no standard mapping from the UART to the GPIO pins.

I know, and I could swear I included the PPS device in the command line
when I first set it up, but I'm not seeing it in the ps output now, so
I'll have to investigate.  Then again, I thought I'd also seen the trouble
when running it manually.  BTW, this with the old GPSD 3.6 that comes from
Debian stable.

Fred Wright