gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Update on Python Version Compatibility

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Update on Python Version Compatibility
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 17:29:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016, Fred Wright wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2016, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>
> > I am laying down ironclad policy now: we do polyglot code according to
> > the *documented methods* in Practical Python Porting.  If you want to
> > change GPSD's methods, you need to engage Peter Donis and me wearing
> > out HOWTO-author hats, persuade us to *change our recommendations*,
> > and then implement them over the whole GPSD corpus.
>
> In the interests of expediency, I'll do it your way now, and perhaps
> revisit this in the future.

What I've done now is to incorporate the three functions from your doc
into misc.py, but with the conditional definition approach that Peter
already agreed to.  These aren't the 'unicode'-compatible versions from
Peter's email, but since they're no longer used with Python 2 it doesn't
matter.  And the now-superfluous conditional in make_std_wrapper is gone.

I haven't yet gotten rid of the duplicate definitions in client.py; I'll
leave that for a later cleanup.

At this point, all the code is compatible with Python 2.6-2.7 and 3.2-3.5
(at least all the "normal" code; I haven't looked into devtools/ or
contrib/).  This is pushed to my GitHub, but anything requiring the C
extensions won't be easily usable with Python 3 until I add a "target
Python" feature to SConstruct.

Fred Wright