gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘GPSD_API

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘GPSD_API
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 16:29:09 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 15:52:27 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > My use case is 'scons check' which uses shmget().  The SHM that
> > scons check uses is not the same SHM that NTP uses.
>
> In that case you might have to resort to strace. :-)

Which sadly does not tell me where the bad code is.  I suspect it is in
Python somewhere.

To save me reading Python which I am nto good at, can you tell me the
order that regress-driver starts binaries during a test?

> > > Also, if by "fresh git clone" you mean re-cloning the repo, that's
> > > almost certainly unnecessary since "git clean -dxf" gives you
> > > essentially the same result.
> >
> > Not really, I also delete all system gpsd components.  That has
> > bitten me in the past.  So I go really clean.
>
> Well, neither git clean nor git clone is going to remove anything
> from the system areas.  You either have to do that manually or run
> "scons uninstall" (which you should do *before* any other cleaning,
> in case options affect what to remove).

I do it manually because the scons uninstall does not find the old Python
libaries after I've updated Python versions.

> But most testing doesn't
> even require installing anything in the first place, so just not
> installing is the easiest way to avoid that sort of trouble.

'most' is the key word.  Been bitten by that.

> I think the test code *tries* to avoid being affected by system
> libraries, but it's an easy thing to get wrong.

Yup.

> > And the git clean man page imprlies you need to double up on the -f,
> > like this:  git clean -dxff.  To hard for me to remember, I just
> > delete everything and I know I got it right.
>
> It looks like that's only if you have subdirectories with their
> own .git subdirectories, i.e., which look like repos of their own.
> That shouldn't happen here unless you go out of your way to set that
> up.

Yeah: looks like.  Hurts my head.  Easiest to:
        rm -R gpsd
        git clone

I do taht in a script that also deletes the installed gpsd files, that I
knwo of.  :-)

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588