gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ARM port problem in rtcm3.2 handling

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ARM port problem in rtcm3.2 handling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 13:04:53 -0700

>> I thought that Raspberry Pi was normal endianness.
> 'normal'?  Which is 'normal', big-, little-, or bi-endian?

Normal is whatever Intel does.

> Since ARM is now bi-endian there are both big- and little-endian Debian
> ports.

Right.  I was specifically asking about the Raspberry Pi.

Are there any other-endian distros available for the Pi?  If so, that would
be a great resource for lots of projects.  They could actually test their
code on other-endian systems.  I expect it's a hard-wired pin so the question
doesn't really make sense.

Are there any other-endian ARM boards available that are low cost, well
supported, and likely to be available for a while?

In general, you don't get to change your endianness by a simple recompile.
The data path on the hardware has to be wired right too.  But that only
matters if you have data paths that are wider than a byte.  Does the Pi have
any?

Ethernet and such goes over USB rather than PCI so there is hope.

RAM is OK since it reads back what you wrote.  You would have to move your
scope probe, but the software can't see that.

How does the ARM chip on the Pi get off the ground?  I'm looking for the
first few instructions.  They are typically in a Flash chip someplace but I
don't remember seeing discussions of that for the Pi.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.