gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ARM port problem in rtcm3.2 handling

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ARM port problem in rtcm3.2 handling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 13:32:41 -0700

Yo Eric!

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 16:06:15 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > You saying I botched a string ccompare due to endian-ness?
>
> Hm.  No, that doesn't make any sense.
>
> Let's start from basics: does the ARM in the Pi in fact have different
> endianness than x86?

It can, but Wheezy is armhf.  armhf is the same endianness as x86 and amd86.

https://www.debian.org/ports/arm/

    Debian fully supports three ports to different flavours of
    little-endian ARM hardware:

        The ARM EABI (armel) port targets a range of older 32-bit ARM
        devices, particularly those used in NAS hardware and a variety
        of *plug computers.

        The newer ARM hard-float (armhf) port supports newer, more
        powerful 32-bit devices using version 7 of the ARM architecture
        specification.

        The 64-bit ARM (arm64) port supports the latest 64-bit
        ARM-powered devices.

In the RasPi2, and I suspect RasPi3, cases we are using armhf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness:

    the Intel x86 processors use little-endian.

But the code is question, that converts RTCM3 binary stream to JSON
hex stream, is unchanged for a long time.  It is just choking on
some of the new, longer, message types, like 1045.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588