gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ARM port problem in rtcm3.2 handling

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ARM port problem in rtcm3.2 handling
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:23:43 -0700

Yo Paul!

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 11:18:02 +0300
Paul Fertser <address@hidden> wrote:

> For the reference, in your other email you correctly state that both
> of those systems are little-endian.

Yup, I just got tired of typing it correctly.  :-)

> I think the RTCM issues you were facing are due to the char being
> signed by default on x86 and amd64 but unsigned on arm.

Interesting.  Been a while since I dug out the C99 standard.  I had
assumed char was always signed, but C99 Section 6.2.5 15) clearly sates
a char may be either the same as signed char or as unsigned char.

Luckily short int, int, long int,and long long int are always
signed.  C99 Section 6.2.5 4).

I had been thinking that since fiexed width type (uint88_t, etc.) are in
C99 we should use those instead.  But I see in C99 7.1.1.1 3 that fixed
width types are optional.  I don't recall that ever causing us trouble.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588